Article 1 [Name of this organization]
(Revised, as of June 1st, 2019, based on Revision meeting on June 1st, 2019)
The name of this Society shall be the “Infantile Seizure Society (ISS).”
Article 2 [Location of the office]
The office of the Society shall be within the Child Neurology Institute located at 6-12-17-201 Minami Shinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Article 3 [Purpose]
The purpose of the Society shall be to promote, on an international level, research into and treatment of seizure disorders and related illnesses in newborns, infants and young children, to contribute to the progress in this field and to facilitate mutual friendship and for sharing of information among members of the Society and throughout the world.
Article 4 [Activities]
This Society shall conduct the following activities to fulfill the purposes set forth in the preceding Article.
- Support for hosting of annual scientific meetings.
- Promotion of joint research among multiple institutions and individuals.
- Provision and maintenance of a website on activities of this Society.
- All other activities necessary to fulfill the purposes of the Society.
Article 5 [Scientific Meeting]
The scientific meeting shall be organized as a global standard conference where world-leading experts gather to present their clinical and/or basic researches and to exchange opinions on selected topics in the field.
The official language of the meeting shall be English.
Upon the completion of scientific meeting, original articles (in English language) of the major presentations are to be published as the minutes of the meeting.
Article 6 [Members]
The members of the Society shall be comprised as follows:
a) Full Member: Physicians and researchers who are involved in seizure disorders in newborn, infancy and young childhood, irrespective to age, sex, discipline or nationality, and who paid membership fees while supporting and approving the aims of the Society.
b) Temporary Member: Physicians and researchers who are involved in seizure disorders in newborn, infancy and young childhood, irrespective to age, sex, discipline or nationality, and who paid the membership fee for one year while supporting and approving the aims of the Society, who applied for a single-year membership.
c) Honorary Member: Members who contributed to the Society greatly, and were approved by the Board of Councilors.
2) Those who intend to become a member must fill in necessary pieces of information on the designated form, and file an application with payment of predetermined membership fees.
3) Members shall be entitled to receive a delivery service of various information, including announcement of future meetings from the Society, and to attend the annual meeting and general assembly of the Society.
4) Full members must pay the annual membership fee. Temporary member must pay the annual membership fee of the intended year.
5) Full member shall lose his/her qualification as a full member when applicable to any of the following:
a) When the member clearly present his/her intention to opt out.
b) When payment of membership dues are not fulfilled for two (2) years continuously.
c) When the Council decides to dismiss the person from the society.
6) Members who intend to leave the society shall inform the Office of the intention by the end of that fiscal year upon completing the membership payment.
7) Should any member was found to defame this Society, such member shall be removed from the membership, terminated of all qualification, and/or warned upon resolution of the Board of Councilors.
Article 7 [Officers]
The Officers of the Society shall be as follows:
- Chairperson of the Board of Councilors: one
- Vice Chairperson of the Board of Councilors: two
- Secretary General: one
- President (of Scientific Meeting): one
- Immediate Past President (of Scientific Meeting): one
- President-Elect (of Scientific Meeting): one
- Auditor(s): two
- Assistant to Secretary General: two
Councilors shall form the Board of Councilors which is the policy making body for the Society and shall, based upon their deliberations, determine matters of importance for the Society. The election of Councilors shall be determined by deliberations of the Board of Councilors based upon a motion proposed and seconded by two (2) full members of the Society. At the time of these deliberations, eligibility shall be assessed primarily based on proven achievements and enthusiasm for the activities of the Society. However consideration shall also be given to achieving a balanced geographical distribution of Councilors.
2) Chairperson of the Board of Councilors
The Board of Councilors shall elect a Chairperson from within the Councilors who stood as candidate, through anonymous ballot conducted under supervision of an Election Committee established by the Board of Councilors.
3) Vice Chairperson of the Board of Councilors
Two Vice Chairpersons shall be determined from within the Councilors upon nomination by the Chairperson.
4) Secretary General
One Secretary General shall be selected from within the Councilors, and determined upon discussions by the Board of Councilors.
5) President (of Scientific Meeting), president-elect, president-elect of next scientific meeting President, president-elect shall be elected by the Board of Councilors.
The Board of Councilors shall elect advisors from experts in the field. Honorary advisor(s) who contributed to the Society greatly shall be recommended from the Board of Councilors and determined upon deliberation.
Two auditors shall be selected through discussions in the Board of Councilors. Auditors can be a non-councilor.
8) Assistant to Secretary General
Chairperson of the Board shall recommend two Assistants to Secretary General from within the councilors, to be determined upon approval of the Board of Councilors.
Article 9 [Roles and Responsibilities of the Officers]
1) Councilors shall organize the Board of Councilors, and discuss and decide on important matters for this Society
2) The Chairperson shall act as the representative of the Society and shall be in overall control of the activities of the Society.
3) The Vice Chairpersons shall support the Chairperson and shall act as proxy for the Chairperson as required.
4) The Secretary General shall provide support for the Chairperson, and attend to implementation/execution of Society matters.
5) The President shall host the Scientific Meeting of the designated year. The President, President-elect(s) can appoint vice president(s) at the president’s discrepancy, and organize an executive committee. The president shall report to the Board of Councilors of the plan/design of the Scientific Meeting, and the results.
6) The Advisors shall give advices for management and development of this Society.
7) The Auditors shall audit the Society’s activities.
8) The Assistants to Secretary General shall assist and support the Chairperson of the Board of Councilors, and conduct execution of the Society matters and assist on management.
Article 10 [Officers’ term]
The officers’ term shall be from the day following the termination of the annual meeting of the year he/she was elected until the final day of the Annual Scientific Meeting. However, this shall not preclude the reelection of the Chairperson of the Board of Councilors, Vice Chairpersons, Secretary General, Councilors, Advisors, Auditors, Assistants to Secretary General. As for the Chairperson, reelection shall not be beyond four years consecutively. The terms of Chairperson, Vice Chairpersons, Secretary General, Councilors, Auditors, and of Assistants for Secretary General shall be until the final day of the Annual Scientific Meeting of the year when the officer turns 65 years old. The term for the Advisors and for the Auditors shall have no age limit. The term for president, immediate past president, president elect shall be for one year.
Should any of the following applies, the renewal of the officer’s term shall be determined by the Board of Councilors:
1) Absent from Board of Councilors meetings or from the Society’s Annual meetings for three consecutive years.
2) If the officer wishes to retire from being an officer.
3) Failure to pay the dues for two consecutive years.
Article 12 [Board of Councilors]
1) The Board of Councilors consists of councilors, the meeting of which is summoned by the Chairperson of the Board of Councilors.
2) The formation of the Board of Councilors shall require majority of Councilors to be present. However, proxy by document delegated to another councilor shall count as present.
3) The Chairperson of the Board of Councilors shall be the chair of the board meeting.
4) The Chairperson of the Board of Councilors shall draw up the minutes of meetings. The Secretary General and the Assistants to Secretary General shall support the chairperson.
Article 13 [Committee]
The Society shall establish committees per necessity to execute the Society’s activities.
Article 14 [Emergency Executive Meeting]
Should there be any issue or cardinal matters that may jeopardize the execution of an Annual Scientific Meeting that requires urgent resolution, the Chairperson of the Board can hold an emergency executive meeting organized by the Chairperson, Vice Chairpersons, President (of Scientific Meeting), President-elect (of Scientific Meeting). In such a case, the Chairperson can hold discussions via e-mail among councilors deemed possible by the Chairperson. Proposals made by the Emergency Executive Meeting shall be approved or denied by voting, determined through majority of the members via document or electronic record.
Article 15 [Configuration of Assets]
The assets for operation of this Society shall consist of the following:
1) Membership fees
3) Any item arising from the asset
4) Income from the Society’s activities and businesses
5) Other income
Article 16 [Management of Assets]
Assets of the Society shall be managed by the Chairperson of the Board, and the management methods shall be determined through resolution by the Board of Councilors.
Article 17 [Expenses]
Expenses for operation of this Society shall be paid from the asset of the Society.
Article 18 [Budget]
Budget of the Society shall be compiled by the Chairperson of the Board, to be approved by the Board of Councilors in advance to the commencement of the Society’s businesses of that fiscal year.
Article 19 [Financial Settlement]
Financial settlement report shall be compiled by the Chairperson within 3 months from the end of the fiscal year, to be approved by the Board of Councilors after auditing by the Auditors.
Article 20 [Term of the Fiscal Year]
The fiscal year of this Society shall be from January 1st till December 31st each year.
Article 21 [Modification/amendment of Bylaws]
Any modification or amendment of Bylaws shall be discussed and approved by the Board of Councilors.
Article 22 [Issues beyond the scope of the Bylaws]
Any issues beyond the scope of the Bylaws shall be determined by Supplementary Regulations determined separately to this Bylaws.
Drafted on October 11th, 2005
Approved on October 13th, 2005
Enacted from March 1st, 2006
Amended on October 25th, 2018
Amended on June 1st, 2019
Should there be any contradiction between the English language version of the Terms and the Japanese language version, the Japanese language version shall prevail, though the official language of the Society is English.
The annual membership fees for the Society shall be 8,000 yen for Officers and 5,000 yen for ordinary members. Advisors, Honorary Members and non-Japanese Members shall be for free of charge.